Frequently Asked Questions
What do you believe?
- In short, we believe everything that the Bible says. Because there are many groups of people who hold different beliefs but who all claim to believe the Bible, it is helpful to distinguish that we consider our beliefs to be orthodox, evangelical, and Southern Baptist. While the best way for you to learn more about what we believe (and the passion with which we believe it) is to simply visit us personally, perhaps you will find it helpful to have a look at The Baptist Faith & Message 2000, which is a description of Southern Baptist beliefs. We adhere wholeheartedly to this confession.
What should I wear?
- At Johnson Chapel, men wear every type of attire from blue jeans to coats and ties. Many ladies dress casually, while some choose to wear dresses. Because God is more concerned about the condition of our heart rather than our outward appearance, clothing isn’t a primary concern for us, so feel free to dress in a way that you are comfortable dressing.
What should I bring?
- There is no need for you to bring anything. If you have a Bible, feel free to bring it along. Otherwise, we have Bibles available for you to use.
What will we do?
- During our Sunday School hour on Sunday morning, we gather together in the sanctuary to pray, then we are dismissed to various Sunday School classes. You can expect to go into a Sunday School class with people of a similar age to you.
- During our worship services on Sunday, we have a casual, relaxed time of singing songs in worship to God, we read from the Bible, we fellowship together, and we hear a sermon preached from the Bible by our pastor. There is nothing too formal about what we do. It’s more like a family gathering.
- During our Prayer Meeting on Wednesday nights, we have an informal and brief time of Bible study followed by a time of exchanging prayer requests and praying for various matters.
Will I be asked to give money?
- We have a time set aside each Sunday for our members and regular attenders to give to the needs and causes of Johnson Chapel Baptist Church and the Southern Baptist Convention, but you will not be pressured to give anything.
How long will it last?
- You can expect our worship services to last for about an hour.